Community Group Projects
After finishing 6 weekly sessions, student participants were asked to create a group project that focused on an issue particular to East Asian communities in Canada. The following is a list of our students’ community group projects, along with their topics:
- Thornlea’s video group: LGBTQ Asians from a newcomer’s perspective
- Thornlea’s arts group: Racism and discrimination against East Asian students
- Thornlea’s social media group: “Comfort women” of the Asia Pacific war
- Thornhill’s video group: Newcomer and immigrant student experiences
- Thornhill’s arts group: Lack of proper Asian representation in Western media
- Thornhill’s arts group: Racism and discrimination against East Asians
- Thornhill’s social media group: Bamboo ceiling (workplace discrimination)
- Thornhill’s social media group: Racial discrimination in the media
- Richmond Green’s video group: Mental health issues amongst East Asian youth
- Richmond Green’s arts group: “Comfort women” of the Asia Pacific war
- Richmond Green’s social media group: Newcomer student challenges
For these group projects to make a community impact, they are being shared across the city. So far, they have been showcased at the following events:
Contact the project managers if you are interested in sharing these student projects at your events or organizations. It is important for us to know how you will be sharing them, as it is helpful feedback for the student participants, in terms of assessing community impact.
For more information about this program, visit our main webpage.